Tomato & Feta Tart
with Poppy Seeds Pastry
What you need…
- Puffy pastry – 2 sheets
- Vine tomatoes – 3
- Thyme – 1 sprig
- Feta – 100g
- Poppy seeds – 5g
- Egg – 2
- Basil – bunch
- Pickled silverside onions – 10
- Red onion – 2
- Red wine vinegar – 10ml
- Red wine – 100ml
- Red currant jelly – 100g
- Star anise – 1
- Cinnamon stick – 1 stick
How do you do it…
- Peep and finely slice the red onion. Sweat this down in a pan with a little bit of oil, add the cinnamon and star anise.
- Once the onions have softened, add the red wine vinegar and red wine let this cook slowly until all the liquid has gone, then add the red currant jelly. Reduce this down until it is a sticky texture, take off the heat.
- Take the core out of the tomatoes and cut them in half horizontally. Put them on a tray and season with salt and pepper and some thyme leaves. Dry out in the oven at 60c – they will look like your grandma (crinkled around the edges).
- Take one sheet of the puff pastry, cut two rectangles 15cm x 7cm. Taking the two rectangles, mark a 1cm margin in from the edge and cut out the middle of the rectangle (now you should have a frame of 15cm x 7cm). Discard the middle part you have just cut out.
- Place back in the fridge to let the pastry cool and set. Take the second sheet of puff pastry and egg wash one side.
- Using a fork gently mark the pastry all over to make small holes in the surface. Take the cut pastry from the fridge and place on top of the on top of the second sheet of pastry.
- Cut around the edge of the rectangle frame to make the dimensions 15cm x 7xm. Egg wash the risen/frame edges and sprinkle on the poppy seeds, just on the frame edge. Place in the oven at 170c for 12 mins until edges have risen.
- Take the pasty out of the oven. Let it cool down. In the middle, spread the red onion marmalade on the bottom. Place the tomatoes on top as shown in the picture. Crumble the feta to your liking and place on top and around the tomatoes.
- Take the silver skin onions and cut them in half. Place 5 halves on each puff pastry tart. Garnish with some basil leaves.
- Pick the leaves off the rest of the basil. Bring a pot of water to the boil with some salt. Blanch the leaves for 30 secs and then take them out and immediately place them in ice water. Squeeze all of the water out of the basil, then place them in a blitzer and place 100ml of vegetable oil and blitz until the liquid is green.
- Now place the tart back in the oven and brown off the feta, take back out of the oven and serve with the dressing of basil oil.
- Job done!